Saturday, September 13, 2008

THIS AND THAT

I picked up Noelle last night from her parents and she spent the night with Fettit and me. Hearing her call me "Drampa" is the best thing ...SShe is the purest form of joy.

Speaking of Joy, something told me to recorded "The View" yesterday and I did. I lucked into watching them grill John McCane. I thought they knocked it out of the park asking some truly tough questions and not allowing him, or his wife for that matter, to give scripted answers.

John McCain never looks comfort though - not during his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, or sitting on "The View" couch sandwiched in between Barbara and Joy.

Watching Barbara Walter fire off questions, and follow-ups, and not letting go until she got a straight answer, reminded me that she once was a journalist, and wasn't afraid of asking the tough questions. Whoopi and Joy followed suit as well.

Thankfully Elizabeth's drivel was kept to a minimum. In the first couple of segments she didn't speak much but of course when she did she had to make it clear to him (McCain) that he had her vote.

I'm not sure Sherri Sheppard was even there, or perhaps she is smart enough to know that she she is out of her league - and sits there quietly without interrupting. If only Elizabeth knew when to keep her trap shut.

Yesterday's "View" was the first time I felt engaged, informed, or entertained by the show since Rosie O'Donnell left.

Later I watched Sara Palin on "20/20" and found her to be just the opposite of her ticketmate. Charlie Gibson also peppered her with the tough questions, and although I didn't especially like her answers, I thought she was comfortable and unflappable.

I was impressed, and hearing her not repeat the same speech over and over, as we have heard since the convention, was refreshing.

I think she helped herself greatly by doing the interview. I liked her. I think he is extremely smart, or at least savy, and she came off likeable.

She is a politician though. She knows how to not answer questions, or at least answer them in a way that makes it appear she is answering them, but really isn't.

The former beauty queen can hold her own in an interview, but she won't reform Washington DC as both she and McCain asserted.

So last night was politics and Noelle. Two of my favorite things!

This morning is the dishes and housework - two of my least favorite things.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Really.

You thought Palin came off as smart. Were we watching the same interview?

Even when she said things like "They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

As I saw it put very succinctly elsewhere on the web:

"And when I look out my window I can see the moon. Doesn't make me a fucking astronaut now, does it?"

Chris, you know I love you dearly, so please forgive me when I say that your love of strong, powerful women like Barbra and Hillary may have blinded you here. Sarah Palin is not smart, and she's no where near the league of women like those two.

cannylass, aka Andrea_44 said...

Chris I agree with you about John McCain on The View. I watched it too, and was pleased that they were a little tough on him...although to my mind they still weren't tough enough! Still he looked uncomfortable and Elisabeth wasn't allowed to dominate the interview, so it was good! (Irritated me though when she had to let him know that he had her vote....as if no one knew that!!!)

I also watched the Sarah Palin interview and do agree that she came off as likeable, but I don't think she answered the questions well and she looked coached. Still I do think she is a tough cookie and obviously very savvy! She scares me though. The thought of her anywhere near the White House makes me shudder and I'm not even American! lol
I do want to see her on The View though! They keep asking for her to come on for an interview. I just hope that when she does, they give her the tough questions! Let Joy take the lead! :)

Anonymous said...

Chris Chris Chris