Thursday, July 23, 2009

LEFT IN THE DARK - JUST BECAUSE



Barbra's Emotion album was released in Oct of 1984 and for some reason I woke up this morning thinking about it. I am not certain why, but I knew I could find this video on Youtube so I had to post it.

I remember Fettit got me a huge "Emotions" poster for Christmas that year. There is actually a photo of him standing in front of it on the "Friends" page of my website. He looks so young and innocent.

It is unfathomable that it has been nearly 25 years ago, but when I look in the mirror and ponder everything I have done and everywhere I have been, I realize that I have done a good job of filling up those 25 years and I don't regret any of it - including the misery and pain.

Hearing this song, and seeing the video, instantly take me back to our apartment on Clark Street in Marquette, MI. I was 23 years old and in the Air Force. Fettit was 21 years old and a server at the Onion Crock (and played the organ at the catholic church for $6 a mass) Kate-Kate Lemonade lived upstairs with Bob and his Boo-Boo and Poo-Poo pillows, homely Gladys lived with us briefly, and we drank Seven and Sevens every night after work... oh...and my ex-wife took my kids to Texas. Well, most of them are fond memories.

Where were you and what were you doing 26 years ago?

3 comments:

joshuadeanwiley said...

i was 11 years old, and my mother had just been married to my stepfather. a whole new world was about to begin, in the smallest of rural IA towns. i wasn't lucky enough to have a "Barbra" in my life, she would've been a welcome refuge at the time. .....maybe some Seven Sevens would've too.

Liz said...

26 years ago.... i was beginning 8th grade. it was a horrible time for me. i hated middle school.

anyway! loved this post... can't wait to see you! only a few more weeks. xo

Anonymous said...

Wow Chris. You and Fettit have been together for longer than most marriages. i loved your question for Ro today about the Blues House. It was so funny. I hope you have a great time.