Wednesday, September 19, 2007

THREE RING CIRCUS FOR A FALLEN POLICEMAN


Yesterday at around 9am, I heard helicopters overhead and heard a siren so I came into the main part of the house and asked Fettit what all the fuss was about. He said there was a car accident around the corner so I went back to what I was doing.

An hour later I returned to the living room and looked out the window and noticed a couple of police cars blocking the street directly in front of the house. I turned on the television to discover that a policeman had been senselessly shot three times and had been transported to the hospital.

Since then the policeman has passed away, there has been a parade of police vehicles passing by, and stopping in front of the house, and every news van in the city has camped a block away for the continual live shot.

People, complete strangers to the fallen officer, are leaving floral tributes and cards - one veteran even left his purple heart. The US flag now waves over the site, next to an Arizona State flag and the flag of the City of Phoenix.

The mourners never knew the slain officer but they crowd around and shed tears as if he was a long lost brother.

This reaction happens every time a policeman or fireman dies in the line of duty. Every nut job crawls out from under a rock and the media pounces on them for ratings. It always helps ratings to interview the wackos...

Some crazy-eyed loony-tune, tears streaming down her cheeks, rambling on about the bravery and heroism of a man she had never set eyes upon or heard of previously. And she is just one of dozens just like her.

As I write this I can see the glare of the bright lights from the local news stations, and the helicopters continue to circle the solemn carnival. Each will open their news with it daily, aiming for a new angle. That is, until the next grand drama presents itself.

The make-shift shrine in less than a block from my house but I would never walk over there and I don't understand the draw, or need, for people to become part of the circus surrounding the tragic event. Looking to feed off the drama of the tragedy.

Go home and be thankful it isn't your son, daughter, father, mother, etc.

Show your support in an appropriate way like lighting a candle at church, saying a prayer for his wife and two young sons or making a donation in his honor.

May he rest in peace and may God keep watch over his family! (Amen)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get so bothered when these things happen. Even though I am in the media field, I don't always agree with how crazy it can be when something like this happens. I feel that people truly care but then there are the ones just wanted to get on TV. And that just sickens me.